good times

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes

AFI100Quotes


Last night I watched AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes on CBS. It just got me captivated the entire time since I like movies so much. Thank goodness for Tivo. At least I was also able to watch the NBA Finals Game 6 (I can't believe the Pistons tied it up). That's 6 hours of TV viewed in about 3 hours. Not bad.

The most interesting thing about the show was that the quotes could almost be categorized into 4 categories (probably more): Quotes that represented the entire movie, quotes that occurred during the peak of the movie, quotes that became catch phrases, and quotes that are now used in everyday language.

The Top 100 Movie Quotes are... (click here)

Here is a list of the 400 quotes nominated for the Top 100: link (The winners have a star next to them)

Notables:

#29 COL. NATHAN JESSEP (Jack Nicholson): "You can't handle the truth!"
A FEW GOOD MEN, Columbia, 1992 (Chang loves this one, but mainly loves the entire monologue)
#25 ROD TIDWELL (Cuba Gooding, Jr.): "Show me the money!"
JERRY MAGUIRE, TriStar, 1996
#2 VITO CORLEONE (Marlon Brando): "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
THE GODFATHER, Paramount, 1972
#85 GOLLUM (Andy Serkis): "My precious."
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS, New Line Cinema, 2002
#80 ROCKY BALBOA (Sylvester Stallone): "Yo, Adrian!"
ROCKY, United Artists, 1976
#61 TONY MONTANA (Al Pacino): "Say 'hello' to my little friend!"
SCARFACE, Universal, 1983
#21 DR. HANNIBAL LECTER (Anthony Hopkins): "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, Orion, 1991
#44 COLE SEAR (Haley Joel Osment): "I see dead people."
THE SIXTH SENSE, Hollywood Pictures, 1999
#94 LT. PETE 'MAVERICK' MITCHELL (Tom Cruise): "I feel the need..."LT. PETE 'MAVERICK' MITCHELL/ LT. NICK 'GOOSE' BRADSHAW (Anthony Edwards): "...the need for speed!"
TOP GUN, Paramount, 1986

And the best one (of course):
#8 HAN SOLO (Harrison Ford): "May the Force be with you."
STAR WARS, Twentieth Century Fox, 1977

1 comment:

Chang Kim said...

I watched it, too. I was dismayed that "And I would!" from Quiz Show didn't make the cut. WTF?